Ouachita finance students earn national award for management of Ary Student Investment Fund
May 15, 2023 - Addie Woods
A team of finance students from Ouachita Baptist University placed second at the annual Quinnipiac Global Asset Management Education Forum held March 30-31 in New York City. Ouachita was awarded second place in the undergraduate core portfolio category for 2022 risk-adjusted return on the group’s management of the Ary Student Investment Fund, a $2 million stock portfolio.
The Quinnipiac GAME Forum is the largest student-run financial conference in the world, with more than 120 schools and 1,300 students in attendance. This year, the forum had more than 100 industry-leading speakers to coach students through the process and help them learn about the field of finance.
Awards are given to the top three entrants in three categories during the GAME Forum: growth, value and core. Additionally, one overall award is given in the graduate category.
Ouachita’s student-managed stock portfolio was established in 2000 with an $8,000 contribution raised by Eddie Ary, associate professor emeritus of finance, who wanted to provide a hands-on experience in money management for students in his Investments class. It was later renamed the Eddie and Phyllis Ary Student Investment Fund in 2012 in honor of Ary and his wife.
A team of senior finance students from Ouachita’s Hickingbotham School of Business meet weekly to actively manage the portfolio. Their faculty advisor is Dr. Chris Brune, professor and George Young Chair of Business. The fund’s 2022 growth is the result of management by two teams. Last year’s seniors directed it during Spring 2022, and the current team managed it in the fall.
“I couldn’t be more proud of our team, and I’m thankful to God for them and the incredible talents and abilities He has given them,” Brune said. “We’re also thankful for the generosity of HSB donors and the support of Dean Bryan McKinney in allowing us to participate in this tremendous opportunity.”
The process to be a part of the Ary Investment Fund team is competitive. Interested students apply and are interviewed in the spring of their junior year.
“As I look back on my time at Ouachita, this trip will be one of my most fond memories, and I'm so thankful for the generosity of university donors who made the entire experience possible,” said Connor Bjerke, a senior accounting and finance double major from Oak Leaf, Texas. “As a team, we were beyond excited to receive this award, as we were competing against other universities with an average enrollment of more than 20,000 students.”
In addition to Bjerke, Ouachita’s 2022-23 Ary Student Investment Fund team includes:
- Nati Abeje, a senior finance major from Murphy, Texas
- Jacob Bowman, a senior accounting and finance double major from Wooster, Ark.
- Heather Brown, a senior finance, business administration/marketing and business administration/ entrepreneurship triple major from Omaha, Texas
- Rebekah Chandler, a senior accounting and finance double major from Little Rock, Ark.
- Madison Draper, a senior accounting and finance double major from Alexander, Ark.
- Emilio Garcia, a senior accounting and finance double major from McKinney, Texas
- Wes Guerra, a senior accounting and finance double major from Benton, Ark.
- Jessica Johnson, a senior finance major from Little Rock, Ark.
- Colton Schrader, a senior finance and business administration/entrepreneurship double major from Red Oak, Texas
- Jacob Smith, a senior finance and business administration/entrepreneurship double major from Rowlett, Texas
- David Stankovic, a senior finance major from Wiley, Texas
The 2021-22 team included:
- Alex Bryan, a finance major from Dallas, Texas
- Chris Bryan, a finance graduate from Dallas, Texas
- Gage Hill, an accounting graduate from Springfield, Mo.
- Lauren Kinley, an accounting and finance graduate from Conway, Ark.
- Andrew McDonald, a finance and business administration/sports management graduate from Little Rock, Ark.
- Kyndal Moyer, an accounting and finance graduate from Lampasas, Texas
- Sydney Parker, an accounting and finance graduate from Edmond, Okla.
- Brennan Saunders, a finance and business administration/sport management graduate from Wylie, Texas
- Jacob Street, a finance and business administration/management graduate from Nacogdoches, Texas
- Grant Winger, a finance and business administration/sport management graduate from Wylie, Texas
- Noah Worley, an accounting graduate from Camden, Ark.
For more information, contact Dr. Chris Brune at email@example.com or (870) 245-4293.
Lead photo: Ouachita's 2022-23 Ary Student Investment Fund team, pictured at the Quinnipiac GAME Forum with faculty advisor Dr. Chris Brune (far left), includes Connor Bjerke, Emilio Garcia, David Stankovic, Nati Abeje, Wes Guerra, Jacob Smith, Rebekah Chandler, Jessica Johnson and Madison Draper. Additional team members are Jacob Bowman, Heather Brown and Colton Schrader (not pictured).
Photo by Tom Calhoon
You Also Might Like